Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


This page is designed specifically for spouses and/or dependents of currently serving members, Veterans, or deceased Veterans.

Some material may not apply to your individual situation while some will.

 Starting Out

When identifying a starting point in pursuit of higher education, its best to start at the end. Ask yourself, what is your end goal? Then evaluate how far have you have come thus far in pursuit of that goal.


Fun Facts

  • Not all career fields require a 4-year degree.
  • Some may require a certificate, credential, or Associate's Degree.
  • Depending on the field, organization, and local economy, employers may accept experience in place of education.


Additional Items to Consider

  • Do you have an experience working in that particular field?
  • Perform an online search to confirm what the entry level requirements are.
  • Talk with someone currently working in the field. Ask if any additional education or training would make you more competitive for entry into the field or set you up for future career progression. 
  • If a degree is needed, are certifications need as well? 

 Selecting a School & Major Course of Study

Most educational institutions claim to military friendly. Do not let this be the only or primary factor in deciding which school to attend.

It's best to compare 2 to 3 different schools who offer the degree in which you wish to pursue and evaluate which school best meets your expectations and needs.


What Really Makes the Difference in Each School

  • Cost of Attendance
  • Quality of the Program
  • What funding is available to help fund your goal based on the school and/or program?
  • Does the school give college credit for any AP classes you took in High School?
  • Is the school recognizing any previously completed college credit you may have? If so, how much would be applied towards your degree?
  • Is the school willing to accept CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exams that allow you to test out of any classes?
  • What is the maximum amount of credits the school can accept based on previous college credit, AP High School classes, or CLEP exams?


Additional Tools

  • Online Degrees
    • NC Public School Comparison
      • The UNC School System maintains a public website that lists degrees and certificates offered online through the 16 colleges/universities.
      • The website can be accessed by clicking on this word: "search".
    • Private or Proprietary (For-Profit) Institutions
      • Degree and certification information on these schools are best found on the individual school's website.
  • NC Community Colleges College Transfer Articulation Agreements
    • The NC Community College System has several articulation agreements with other institutions that govern the transfer of college credit.
    • A list of all of these agreements can be accessed by clicking "here". Each item on the list provides a link where you can obtain additional details governing each agreement.

 What's Available to Assist in Paying

This is based on a number of factors. We've separated programs into those available for spouses and those available for dependents.

Note: You should never be required to pay a fee to apply for a scholarship.



  • My CAA
    • Designed as a workforce development program for eligible military spouses.
    • Provides Tuition Assistance up to $4k
    • Annual fiscal year cap of $2k for professional credentials
    • Eligibility Criteria
      • Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to CW2, and O-1 to O-2.
      • Spouse must have completed High School.
      • Must be able to request tuition assistance while the sponsor is on Title 10 orders.
    • Who isn't eligible
      • Spouses who are married but legally separated (or under a court order or statue of any State or U.S. Territory) from a member of the armed forces on Title 10 orders.
      • Spouses whose National Guard or Reserve military sponsor is in a warning order or alert, post-deployment, demobilization, or transition status.
      • Spouses married to a member of the Coast Guard.
  • Scholarships
  • Departmental Scholarships
    • These scholarships are generally either academic-based or need-based.
    • Your school's financial aid office is the best contact for information regarding these programs as it will vary from school to school and major to major.
  • Transferred Chapter 33 (Post 9/11; aka Forever) GI Bill Benefits
    • Currently serving members may have the option of transferring unused GI Bill benefits to a DEERS-eligible spouse and/or dependent(s).
    • Spouses should confirm with the Service Member themselves if unused benefits have been transferred to them.
    • When benefits are transferred to spouses, a number of factors are impacted based on the term "qualifying service". The definition of "qualifying service" can be found by clicking "here".
    • In the event benefits have been transferred, when benefits expire for a spouse will depend on when the Service Member's last day of Chapter 33 qualifying service was.
      • Last discharge from qualifying period of service prior to 01 January 2013 - 15 years to use benefits.

      • Last discharge from qualifying period of service on/after 01 January 2013 - no expiration


  • Scholarships
    • NC Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans
      • Administered through the NC Dept. of Military & Veterans Affairs
      • Created to show appreciation for the services and scarifies of NC Wartime Veterans
      • Established for qualifying national or adopted child (if adopted before the age of 15) of certain class categories of deceased, disabled, combat or POW/MIA Veterans.
      • Applies to NC Schools
      • Used for 8 academic semesters
      • Recipient has 8 years to utilize
      • Applicant must be under the age of 25 at the time of the application.
      • Veteran's qualifying criteria must have occurred during a period of war.
      • At the of application, applicant must be domiciled and a resident of NC.


        Veteran parent was a legal resident of NC at the time of said Veteran's entrance into the period of service in the Armed Forces during which eligibility was established;


 Additional Information

  • Need additional information on what's available for service members? Please visit the main page of our website at EDUCATION HOMEPAGE.
  • Need help with additional program available for family members? We encourage you to contact the Family Programs Office. The link to their information is below:
  • Need help in getting a new job? We encourage you to contact the Employment Center. The link to their information is below: