Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content


 Before Classes Begin

  1. Select a school and major course of study. Need help? Click here.
    • The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has multiple resources to assist in identifying a school that best meets your needs. These resources can be accessed by clicking here.
    • Utilize the U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard to compare average annual cost, graduation rate, and average post-graduation salary.
  2. Apply for admission to desired school(s) and do the following:
    • Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
      • Multiple schools can be listed on your FAFSA application, so list all of those you have applied for admission into.
    • Request an official copy of your Joint Services Transcript (JST) be sent to your school.
    • Request official transcript(s) from a previously attended college(s) or university be sent to your new school.
    • Request an official transcript from your High School, if required.
  3. While waiting to hear if you have been accepted, do the following:
    • Click here to determine if you qualify for the Army's Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Program (Interfaced through GoArmyEd). ARMY ONLY
    • Click here to determine if you qualify for the North Carolina Tuition Assistance Program (NCTAP).
    • Design an action plan that allows you to maximize your GI Bill® benefits. If you need assistance, please click here.
  4. After your application for admission into the school has been accepted, do the following:
  5. Once registered, make payment arrangements with your school to avoid being dropped or dis-enrolled.

 After Classes Have Started

 Additional Resources

  • Have you used educational benefits before? If so, our "Returning Students" page is more geared to you.
  • Need information on educational benefits for family members? Click here to access helpful information.
  • Need assistance getting a new job? We highly encourage you to contact the Employment Center by clicking here.
  • Need to return to our main page? Click here.
  • Need to update your military record to reflect awarded college credit or a degree? Click here.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at